Wednesday, July 20, 2011

My Cake Baby





For those of you who already follow my food blog, this will be old news but I thought I'd post about this here as well. Only because I feel like this cake is the best thing I have ever made (in terms of cakes). No seriously, I feel like this was such a big achievement for me. Even though I'm a pretty experienced baker, I have little experience baking a cake and even less experience making one actually look pretty.

I baked this wedding cake for two friends last month. I also officiated the ceremony which was an amazing experience but I was so thrilled with how this cake turned out. I had pulled a bunch of images from the internet of cakes that I loved the looks of and sent it to the bride. She then picked out which style she liked the best and I tried to recreate it.

It was still a little lopsided and I know it wasn't the most neatly decorated. The day was so crazy that I had to try to not shake so much and hyperventilate while piping the frosting but it was my baby. My cake baby.

I had made the flags as well, embroidering the bride and groom's names on them.

In case you'd like a recipe, I used Dorie Greenspan's recipe for Perfect Party Cake and I mixed some strawberry jam into the frosting to create the light pink hue. I also made the strawberry jam from scratch which is one of the easiest things ever and is so much better than anything store bought.

It was a beautiful day and the ceremony was perfect. I was so happy to be a part of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment